Purveyors of finer speculative products since 2008; specializing in literate guesswork, slipshod argument, future games und so weiter

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Gore's my harbinger...

DS,

Agreed and agreed in advance. You called that shit like it had a phone number. I'm still somewhat skeptical of the degree to which AlGore's a solution. Not that he wouldn't win, because i think he would. But the desire to have Gore step in seems indicative--to me, at least-- of a certain trepidation on the part of the Democratic core.

That is: so much rides on this election. The future of our republic, arguably, runs on what we do in November. There are, of course, the evident crises with Iraq and healthcare, Iran and energy, Russia and the economy, global warming and the vestiges of the culture wars. Further, the world is really watching us. Seems apparent a good portion of the world is willing to chalk up the Bush years as a colossal screw-up and give us a fresh look, depending on whom we elect. The old Churchill aphorism: "Americans will always do the right thing... after all other options have been exhausted."

So everyone's painfully aware of the import of the coming election. Fine. The trouble comes in the unknown aspect. We're down to a woman and a black guy. Ye gods! How remarkable! But now? Really? So much rides on this! Can't we go a little bit safer? A nice white guy? Experienced? Capable? Yeah! Gore!

And I understand the trepidation. I feel it sometimes, myself. But my argument against it is basically my argument against Hillary: You can't go back.

Hillary promises a return to the halcyon days of the Clinton era. Unprecedented peace and prosperity. Settle the score against the repubs. Blah blah, yadda yadda lobster bisque. The yearning for Gore is a bit like that. Both sides of America want a mulligan. Shoulda been Gore-McCain in 2000. We got one half of that after the embarassment of the Bush regime; some Dems wanna get the second half going. I understand. And I wouldn't be totally averse, were it to happen.

But I don't believe in its necessity.

I think Barry Hussein will win. He thinks he'll win, too. And he's doing his best to make the yearning for Gore work to his advantage. I'm not afraid. Indicators point in our favor.

Whew! How's that for an introductory post. Introduce self to reader(s) next time, and a bit on human paraquat Karl Rove. Aside from that, mang, the new Gnarles is still on constant repeat. Fuck what the critics say. The album's some honest, painful, comtemplative, and frequently gorgeous 21st century Soul.

-k

"Storm's on the harbor like a harbinger for gore.
Gore's my harbinger, pardon the art of war."
-Aesop Rock, "Getaway Car"

No comments: